We had a special treat last night – dinner with Rich and Cindy Brown. They head back to Spain this week after their six-month furlough, so we wanted to catch up with them before they left. We were able to update them on our application process (almost done!), share some of our excitement, thoughts, worries and prayer requests, and also get some ideas about how to pray for them and their team in Spain as they gear up for another term of ministry. Chris and I truly hope that by them time they start their next term, we’ll have an arrival date.
That is a crazy, but wonderful, thought!
We put a bug in their ear about wanting to return to Spain in 2011 as well, possibly with some of our high school students. God knows the details of this endeavor.
We talked about the theological exam and meeting with the ABWE representative who made us feel like real candidates. When we met him, and he didn’t say, “I don’t think you’re right for this,” we felt really affirmed. I tend to get discouraged when I think about how much more Bible knowledge we “need” to reach Spain. But then, we hear Rich and Cindy talk about the conversations they have – the questions people ask and the difficulty they have with understanding the faith, and we realize that we’ll never be “prepared,” “qualified,” or “ready.” We will, however, always be equipped, because the God of the universe, who knows each person we’ll meet inside and out, is going before us.
I look forward to this life with great humility.
- If there is a God, why doesn’t He make Himself evident?
- If God is good, why is there so much suffering in the world?
- Why are there so many denominations?
- If Jesus preached a message of love, why is Christianity’s history so full of violence?
- The God of the Old Testament, who commanded entire cities full of men, women and children be wiped out, doesn’t seem to be the same God in the New Testament.
- I can’t believe a loving God would condemn people to Hell.
- How can such an “evil” person receive a free pass to Heaven?
- How do we know the Bible is true?
- You teach the Bible, the Jehovah’s Witnesses teach the Bible, the Mormons teach the Bible – how do we know who to believe?
- My family has been Catholic for 16 generations!
- I just try to be a good person, and I think that is good enough for me.
It’s all about the relationship.